Chapter 1: Preparing for pregnancy
Up-to-date, evidence-based information about the things you can control that will keep you and your baby healthy during pregnancy, including:
- When should you start preparing for pregnancy?
- Vitamin supplements and medications
- What happens in a pre-pregnancy health check?
- Optimising pre-existing medical conditions and mental health before pregnancy
- How long does it take to fall pregnant?
Chapter 2: Early pregnancy
Pregnancy is an adventure, and the better prepared you are, the better the outcomes.
- What does it feel like to be pregnant?
- Exercising safely in pregnancy (by Beatrice Peters, physiotherapist, fitness instructor and health coach)
- What will happen at your first GP visit?
- What can go wrong in early pregnancy?
- Safe remedies for tiredness and morning sickness
Chapter 3: Blood tests, ultrasounds and genetic testing in early pregnancy
Why do you need so many tests and what are they all for?
- Common blood tests ordered by your GP
- When can you have your first ultrasound scan?
- Screening for abnormalities
- When can you find out the sex of your baby?
Chapter 4: Hospitals and obstetricians
This chapter discusses your options to help you decide on the medical care you’d like during pregnancy, birth and beyond.
- Public hospitals, obstetricians and models of care
- Private hospitals and obstetricians
Chapter 5: The second trimester
Weeks 12 to 28 are often the most enjoyable of all.
- Can you still travel?
- Do you need maternity wear and underwear?
- What can go wrong in the second trimester?
- A word on mother’s/parent’s guilt
Chapter 6: Shopping for baby
Helpful observations for navigating the overwhelming retail world of baby items.
- Pink or blue vs unisex
- What do you need? (car restraints, cots/bassinets, prams/strollers, baby baths, change tables, baby monitors, clothes, nappies/wipes, toys, nappy bags, breastfeeding station, baby feeding equipment, laundry goods)
- Non-essential but helpful items
Chapter 7: The third trimester
The final weeks of pregnancy are full of excitement and preparation.
- When should you go on maternity leave?
- When should you pack your bags and what do you need to pack?
- Whooping cough/pertussis vaccination
- What happens in labour?
- Pain relief options
- What problems can happen in the third trimester?
Chapter 8: Your hospital stay
Monitoring you and your baby after the huge event of childbirth.
- What do first-time parents need to be on the lookout for?
- When are you going to be sent home?
Chapter 9: Coming home with a new baby
Welcome to parenthood! The first few weeks at home will be life-changing.
- Everyone wants to visit the new baby
- Keeping the germs away
- Postnatal depression
Chapter 10: Coping with loss and illness
Sadly not all pregnancies progress to a happy ending.
- Who to turn to for help
- Unexpected outcomes
Chapter 11: Feeding your baby
Joanna Molloy, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, guides you through nourishing your new baby.
- Breastfeeding and lactation
- Bottle feeding
- How do you know what your baby wants?
- Feeding a premature baby